St. Galler Kantonalbank
Origin of St. Galler Kantonalbank
St. Galler Kantonalbank was founded in 1868 and is headquartered in St. Gallen. Since its foundation the Bank stands for clear values. The Bank has a state guarantee and is very risk-averse. SGBK offers its clients a high degree of security. The Bank has 38 branches and employs 1060 people.
In 2002 SGKB bought Hyposwiss Privatbank, Zurich which the Bank renamed to SGKB Zurich branch in 2013. In 2009 SGKB, Munich was established. The Bank is active in the asset management business and the customers are wealthy individuals and institutional investors in Germany. In 2014 SGKB bought Vadian Bank, St. Gallen and in 2017 M.M. Warburg Bank (Schweiz) AG, Zurich.
Do you have a bank account with this Bank? Do you wanna open a Bank Account with this Bank?
🎞️ Then you must watch the following Video first:
Philosophy and Strategy
St. Galler Kantonalbank ensures that the customer’s expectations are met daily. The Bank takes great emphasis on understanding the client’s needs and advises them with suitable solutions. SGKB aim is a sustainable increase in the value of the assets. The success factors are risk management, productivity and growth.
The business model of SGKB has two pillars:
- Private and corporate clients
- Private banking
The three key markets SGKB is focused on are the home market, followed by German-speaking Switzerland and Germany.
Two-thirds of the income comes from the lending business and one third from the investment business.
Services and Solutions
Financing is needed in different areas of our life like buying a home, a new car or for a costly education. SGKB is happy to help and advice.
- Mortgages – SGKB offers various mortgage models and special offers, like variable mortgages, fixed mortgages, money market mortgages, renovation mortgages and building loans
- Credit facilities – there are situations in our life, where we need extra money. SGKB is working together with cashgate, the credit provider, and can offer private loans and advances training loans. Cashgate is also involved in the leasing business
SGKB is experienced in asset management and the client’s money is in good hands. The values of SGKB are experienced, professional competence, up-to-date technological support, attentive personal advice and careful risk management. The services are focused on value, security and long-term client relationship.
SGKB’s investment packages are :
- Consult – SGKB is personally advising the clients but the clients are deciding for themselves.
- Comfort – SGKB is managing the client’s assets.
- Direct – The clients are managing their assets completely by themselves.
If the customer chooses the investment package comfort, then the assets are managed by the experienced specialist of SGKB, basically around the clock. SGKB offers eight different asset management mandates.
- Comfort active – the investment is mainly made in active bond- and equity funds.
- Comfort strategy – this mandate is strictly following the agreed strategy.
- Comfort tail risk – the investment is made in passive bond- and equity funds. The investment is risk controled and globally diversified.
- Comfort premium – is investing directly in equities and bonds and additionally invests in selected funds.
- Comfort premium Helvetia – only invests in Swiss equities and bonds.
- Comfort premium eco – is concentrating on direct investments keeping in mind the environmental and social governance of SGKB.
- Comfort premium dividend – is investing in direct investments and selected funds
- Comfort private – the investment is discussed with the client and investment according to the client’s needs.
The advantages of a comfort mandate are: the client saves time and doesn’t have to be involved in the investment process; SGKB is independent and doesn’t have to be solely investing in its products; the client receives a detailed report with full transparency, the diversification of the portfolio minimizes the risk.
Choosing the right products according to the investment strategy is important. SGKB offers are a variety of products like, bonds, public medium-term bonds, fixed-term deposits, structured products, investment funds, and equities.
More than 30 financial experts and specialist are monitoring and analyzing the global markets and lay the ground for active asset management.
With private banking SGKB combines solidarity, security of a cantonal bank, and tradition. The customer gets the best care of his assets. The basis is a mutual trust and SGKB builds on that to create sustainable values and security.
The services offered are comprehensive, tailor-made, risk-averse and competent.
SGKB is like other banks and financial institutions confronted with various bank-specific risks, like the credit riks, the market risk, the liquidity risk, the operational risk, the reputational risk and the legal risk. Managing and monitoring these risks is very important to SGKB. The bank also puts great emphasis on a clear separation between risk-taking and risk control.
The management system consists of the following elements:
- The Board of Directors is formulating a comprehensive risk policy
- The best approaches for risk management and risk monitoring are used
- Strategic and operational limits are set with the appropriate monitoring and reporting
- Timely information about risks
- Enough human resources are allocated to risk management
- All levels are informed of the possible risks
SGKB’s share price increased by 22.2 % in 2017. The Bank has 32’515 shareholders and the outstanding shares are 5.5 million. The shareholder structure is as follows: Canton of St. Gallen 54.8 %, natural persons 24.9 %, legal persons 8.3 % and the remaining 12% are split between employees and the bank’s holdings.
Assets under management stood at 42.4 billion CHF at the end of 2017. New money inflow increased by 4.5%. AuM are at an all-time high which shows the sign of trust customers give to the Bank.
SGKB is an active partner in economic, sporting, cultural and social initiatives. The Bank has an excellent reputation.
SGKB has its roots in the eastern part of Switzerland. As the leading bank of the regions and as a major employer, SGKB has a great deal of responsibility.
SGKB is involved in a variety of ways to enrich the economy or the social and cultural life of the Canton St. Gallen and Appenzell Ausserrohden.
- Sustainability – all the banking properties are on an ecologically high standard
- Social commitment – the social responsibility is towards its employees and society
- Regional economy – the Bank promotes creative ideas, innovation and entrepreneurial commitment
St. Galler Kantonalbank – Facts & Figures
(Rotate your Mobile Phone for optimal Table-View)
|Address||St. Leonhardstrasse 25
9001 St. Gallen
|Phone||+41 71 231 31 31|
|Year of foundation||1868|
|No. of employees||1060|
|Chairman||Thomas A. Gutzwiller|
|Shareholder’s equity||2.2 bn CHF|
|Assets under Management||42.4 bn CHF|
|Assets under Management / Employees||40 mm CHF|
|Net profit||155.966 mm CHF|
|Net Profit / Employees||147’137 CHF|
|Tier 1 Ratio||26.07 %|
|Cost / Income Cost Ratio (CIR)||56.4 %|
Source: Annual Report 2017